| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Serbs demand use of force against AlbaniansIris Pilika ipilika at hotmail.comThu Dec 14 11:02:02 EST 2000
Protests put pressure on Kostunica December 14, 2000 Web posted at: 1348 GMT DAVIDOVAC, Yugoslavia -- Thousands of Serbs have blocked roads around the Kosovo border, demanding the government uses force against ethnic Albanian rebels in the area. Around 3,000 people closed routes in and out of the town of Bujanovac in protest at recent attacks in which rebels killed four Serb policemen and took control of several villages in the demilitarised border zone. Ethnic Albanians make up the vast majority of the population in the province of Kosovo and the rebels are pressing to break away from Serbia, Yugoslavia's main republic. Kosovo has been under international control since last year, and many ethnic Albanian residents back the call for independence for the province, together with the heavily ethnic Albanian Presevo Valley region in Serbia proper. The attacks have triggered fears of renewed clashes in the area -- and sparked anger from Serbs, who make up much of Yugoslavia's population but are the minority in this region. The protest, which has also shut down a railway line and roads that link Serbia with Macedonia and Greece, was set up by Serbs from Kosovo and local residents. Kostunica 'in a bind' Many said that the ousted president Slobodan Milosevic's Socialist Party had organised the action, trying to gain support ahead of December 23 parliamentary elections in Serbia. The ethnic Albanian attacks have left the new Yugoslav president Vojislav Kostunica in a tight spot, observers say, as he could lose support if he ignores the rebels, but could also anger the international community if his steps against the insurgents are seen as excessive. Zoran Djindjic, a Kostunica ally who is expected to become the next Serb prime minister said: "With every additional day, the terrorists are gaining ground and digging in. "We need strong action now because later it will be more difficult." Kostunica, who heads a pro-democracy coalition, has been eager to distance himself from his predecessor's belligerent policies, which led to NATO's bombing campaign last year and the establishment of the joint U.N. and NATO administration in Kosovo. On Wednesday, Kostunica appealed for an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting on the issue saying that the people of Yugoslavia need to know the international community would protect them. Council members issued a statement saying they "condemned acts of violence by armed groups in southern Serbia" and reiterated their call for "immediate cessation of violence in this area." An open meeting on the matter is scheduled for next week. The Associated Press contributed to this report. _____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |