| [Alb-Net home] | [AMCC] | [KCC] | [other mailing lists] |
List: ALBSA-Info[ALBSA-Info] Fwd: FT.com Albanian pyramid savings goneirma spaho i_spaho at hotmail.comFri Aug 18 16:32:30 EDT 2000
> > > > Albanian pyramid savings gone > By John Mason and Kerin Hope > Published: August 16 2000 17:31GMT | Last Updated: August 17 >2000 16:02GMT > > > > > Investors in Albania's notorious pyramid schemes will get >little of their money back, the Albanian government has been told by >financial investigators hired to track down $1bn lost in frauds that >wrecked the economy and tipped the country into anarchy. > > PricewaterhouseCoopers, the professional services firm asked >by the government to investigate the schemes, has concluded that only $50m >is recoverable. > > The PwC report, which is also critical of the help offered by >Albanian officials in locating the money, has never been published, despite >being submitted to the Albanian ministry of finance last January. > > The socialist government under Ilir Mehta, the pragmatic prime >minister, is attempting to draw a line under the scandal that prompted >violence which claimed more than 2,000 lives and cost many Albanians their >life savings. > > Under pressure from western lending institutions to adopt >credible economic policies, the government has retracted promises that >investors would be compensated in full. It is now trying to put the scandal >firmly in the past while putting the blame on the previous government of >Sali Berisha under which the schemes flourished. > > Much of the PwC report will come as little surprise to >Albanians, particularly its conclusion that the 17 schemes, which collapsed >in early 1997, were "thoroughly dishonest businesses". > > The schemes typically promised returns of about 8 per cent a >month and proved irresistible to a population that only recently had >emerged from communist orthodoxy. At their height, they had liabilities >equal to half the country's gross domestic product, according to the >International Monetary Fund. > > Tracking down the missing money proved difficult. According to >Rick Helsby, the head PwC investigator, the bulk of the money was taken out >of the country in cash in lorries bound for Greece and other countries. > > Between $50m and $100m has been found in overseas bank >accounts, mainly in countries such as Greece, Turkey, Hungary, Macedonia, >Germany, the UK and the US. However, Albania lacks bilateral agreements >that allow this money to be recovered. > > Less well known is the extent to which those behind the >schemes benefited. PwC was able to identify many of the assets that went to >Vehbi Almucaj, the principal operator of Vefa, the largest scheme, which is >also understood to have had close links with the Berisha government. > > One Tirana-based banker said: "There was strong evidence of >collusion between Vefa and the government. Vans owned by a state-controlled >bank used to transport Vefa cash across the border for deposit in Greek >banks." > > Some $9.5m of Vefa's assets were traced to Almucaj's personal >accounts with $141m more paid to employees and other individuals associated >with the scheme. > > Investigations into Gjallica, the second-largest scheme, >showed that $17m had been paid to Shemsie Kadria, its operator, and her >husband Gani. > > However, in both cases, much of the money traced remains >abroad and out of reach. > > Many of the difficulties facing investigators arose from the >lack of accounts kept by the schemes, presumably deliberately, Mr Helsby >said. However, he was critical of the help given by some officials meant to >co-operate with the PwC investigation. In particular, public prosecutors >hindered attempts to inspect documentation relating to Vefa, seriously >limiting the extent of the inquiry, he said. > > The report said the Albanian people were likely to be >dissatisfied by the Vefa inquiry and to expect further investigations. > > Whether this will happen seems uncertain. The Mehta government >has acted against the perpetrators of the schemes. Vehbi Almucaj received a >five-year sentence for fraud but the government rejected the sentence as >too lenient and has ordered a fresh hearing. Mrs Kadria's trial on fraud >charges continues. > > Otherwise, it is playing down the issue as it attempts to >restore stability and attract foreign investors. The legacy remains, >however. One western economist said: "The pyramid schemes still come up in >every discussion with a potential investor. Confidence is only starting to >recover." > > Meanwhile, most Albanians are resigned to accepting their >losses. Ilir Cani, who now works as a gardener in Athens, lost $20,000 in >the collapse of Vefa. He said: "We sold our apartment to invest more when >the monthly interest rate was increased to 8 per cent. Now my whole family >is in Greece trying to save enough money to build a house in Tirana." > > > > >-------------------------------------------------------------------------- > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com
More information about the ALBSA-Info mailing list |