Kosova Crisis Center |
|
link to alb-net |
Updated at 7:50 PM
on April 8, 1999 Stop Macedonia from aiding Genocide: Treat Kosova Refugees better! Times, 04.06.99 By Anna Blundy. NTV, Russia's most independent television station, has shocked viewers this week with its coverage of the "ethnic cleansing" by the Serbs in Kosovo. Its recent reports from the region are the first public admission that the Serbs, so vociferously supported in Russia, may have provoked Nato's bombing campaign. Konstantin Borovoi, a Duma deputy who is in favour of the Nato strikes, ended his five-day hunger strike yesterday when radio and television stations finally allowed him to air his anti-Serb views. He refused all food from April 1 in protest at what he considered to be biased media coverage. "The pro-Serb propaganda campaign has been executed in the old Soviet way," Mr Borovoi said. "[Yevgeni] Primakov is not just the Prime Minister, but the leader of a political group with the conscience of the KGB." He complained that the pro-Nato demonstration he and his followers had planned had been banned. Only after the ground-breaking coverage by NTV did other radio and television stations follow suit, admitting that their reports were subject to Serbian military censorship. Novaya Gazeta ran a commentary by Andrei Piontovsky of the Centre for Strategic Studies suggesting that blind support for the Serbs may be misguided. Yevgeni Kiselyov, presenter of NTV's weekly news programme Itogi, acknowledged that his influential change in stance was in large part related to domestic issues. "I understand that anti-Nato, anti-Western, anti-American hysteria could lead to a situation when we would have restored Communist Party rule," Mr Kiselyov told the Moscow Times. Vladimir Kulistikov, NTV's chief news editor, attributed the new-style coverage to the fact that Pavel Lobkov, Russia's answer to John Simpson of the BBC, had got into Macedonia and interviewed fleeing refugees. Times, 04.06.99 By Anna Blundy. HRW: MACEDONIA MUST PROTECT
KOSOVO REFUGEES, KEEP FAMILIES INTACT The War As Seen From Switzerland It seems that virtually everyone here in Switzerland, no matter which political party, is appalled at the expulsions in Kosova and very critical of the Serbian leaders. There have been interviews with or profiles of Draskovic, Seselj, Arkan, and others in one local paper--they all make your hair stand on end. The same paper has also run pieces by Veton Surroi, Veron Matic (B92), and an opposition anthropologist from Beograd, who stated firmly that at the root of this--aside from Milosevic--are the entrenched negative stereotypes and "hatred" with which the majority of Serbs have viewed Kosovare (her comments were based on research she conducted among Serbs on the Kosova issue a few years ago). Before the NATO strikes began, the newspaper ran a long
article by a German Balkans specialist advocating independence for Kosova. On the TV there
have been a number of interviews with Serbs and Albanians (not only Swiss and German
TV--we have watched Italian also). In each case, the moderator has strongly challenged the
comments by the participating Serbs, who have sometimes been representatives of the
government. I've seen relatively little criticism As reported in this mornings New York Times, the United States has agreed to air lift 20,000 Kosovar refugees to either Guam or Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The announcement indicated that these refugees would be granted temporary protection status on these U.S. territories. However, it was clearly stated that at this point there are no plans to bring any Kosovar refugees to the continental U.S. Relatives and/or concerned citizens in the U.S. who wish to "sponsor" a Kosovo refugee family should be advised that such an opportunity would only become available if the U.S. State Department announces the implementation of a permanent resettlement program. Such a program has been implemented in the past regarding, for example, the Bosnians. It was only after this determination for a resettlement program was made that the State Department, in conjunction with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), mandated agencies, such as the International Rescue Committee (IRC), to assist with the actual resettlement. To clarify: Agencies like the IRC cannot admit refugees to the U.S. nor can the IRC grant refugee status to anyone. Only the U.S. government can do this. However, the IRC, like other resettlement agencies, can assist with refugee resettlement only when the agency has been mandated to do so by the U.S. government. This has not happened yet in regard to refugees from Kosovo. Again, to further emphasize, the Kosovo refugee movement announced yesterday calls for a joint NATO/State Department air lift to Guam or Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. This is not a resettlement program at this point, rather a temporary measure to ease the strain on the Balkan countries. The plan implies the return of these refugees to the region once the situation permits. Anyone interested in making a financial donation and contribute directly to the current emergency relief effort on the ground in Albania, Macedonia, and Montenegro, may contact the International Rescue Committee at our toll free number: 1-877-REFUGEE (1-877-733-8433). The IRC is one of the leading relief agencies on the ground right now in the Balkans and is actively involved in the emergency relief efforts. Your cash donation is essential in helping the IRC feed, clothe, and house the Kosovar refugees pouring into region! The IRC will continue to monitor the situation regarding the movement of refugees and the possibility of a resettlement program for refugees from Kosovo. If a decision is made by the U.S. government to implement, in cooperation with U.S. resettlement agencies, a resettlement program for Kosovars, the IRC will endeavor to assist U.S. relatives of Kosovar refugees sponsor their family members and resettle in the U.S. Until that decision is made, however, the IRC will continue its emergency relief efforts on the ground in the Balkans. Stop Macedonia from aiding Genocide: Treat Kosova Refugees better! *** March Against Genocide: Saturday, April
10th |