










link to alb-net
E-MAIL
US
LETTERS OF
SUPPORT
SERBIAN
MASSACRES |
Updated at 4:45 PM on
March 30, 1999
Independence now an option (Sydney
Morning Herald)
By ROBERT MAHONEY in Bonn
Western leaders are still loathe to pronounce Rambouillet dead but the peace agreement
they negotiated with one side of the Kosovo conflict is in tatters, Balkan experts say.
"I think the Rambouillet agreement is so much waste paper," said Mr Matthias
Karadi, of Hamburg University. "We need to get a second round of negotiations going
in which we discuss whether Kosovo can remain part of Yugoslavia."
Other analysts said independence for Kosovo, although not on the Western agenda, looked a
possibility.
Mr Wolfgang Petritsch, the European Union envoy on Kosovo, warned against early
international recognition of independence for Kosovo and suggestions that the West should
arm the Kosovo Liberation Army. "But I must say with regret that everything is now
moving in the direction of independence for Kosovo because it is difficult to imagine that
the Albanians will be willing to remain in a state with the Serbs after the
massacres," he told a Vienna newspaper.
European analysts said NATO, which began air strikes last week, realised it could not bomb
Mr Milosevic to the negotiating table. It had now started the second phase of its campaign
in Kosovo, which was to halt ethnic cleansing in the predominantly Albanian province. But
the analysts all questioned whether the alliance had clear political and military aims
beyond the bombing.
"NATO is stuck in a dead end with air strikes," said Dr Berthold Meyer, of the
Hesse Peace and Conflict Research Centre in Frankfurt. "The hope that Milosevic will
comply is tiny. On the contrary, since the start of the air attacks he has tried to create
facts on the ground by conquering territory."
Analysts argue that the West's original aim of autonomy for Kosovo within Serbia can only
be achieved with the overthrow of Mr Milosevic and the introduction of democracy in
Yugoslavia.
"If this doesn't happen," said Mr Jens Reuter, of Munich's Southeast Institute,
"and if Milosevic stays in power like Saddam Hussein, then really the only possible
and thinkable outcome is the breaking away of Kosovo from the Yugoslav Federation through
military means, and independence."
Residents cower from dirty war
on Pristina's streets
By PAUL WATSON in Pristina
As a pall of black smoke poured from police headquarters in Kosovo's capital, ethnic
Albanians saw it as a sign to hide indoors or get out of town.
They knew that by striking at the heart of the police operation that has turned much of
Kosovo to ruins, NATO had further enraged the Serbs. In recent days, a dirty war in the
capital's streets has left at least five more prominent Kosovar Albanians dead. NATO said
that among them were Mr Fehmi Agani, one of the Albanians' representatives to failed peace
talks, and Mr Baton Haxhiu, the editor-in-chief of an Albanian-language newspaper that
Serb authorities considered to be a mouthpiece for the guerilla army. NATO's air strikes
hammered central Pristina into the early hours on Monday, destroying the police
headquarters and engulfing the complex in flames.
The blaze spread to a barracks where Serbian policemen lived with their families. More
than 20 families living in the barracks were now homeless, the police said.
Massive explosions also struck a Red Cross building and the city's dental clinic. Far from
demoralising police patrolling the capital's streets, the destruction only hardened them.
In Pristina's ethnic Albanian neighbourhoods, hardly anyone dared go outside after Monday
morning's blitz. People standing in a bread line on an otherwise empty street turned and
scattered down back alleys when two patrolling Serbian police with AK-47s walked towards
them. With international monitors out of Kosovo and NATO keeping a safe distance overhead,
ethnic Albanians have little protection.
An ethnic Albanian woman said: "If ground troops don't come here, there will be a big
catastrophe, believe me."
But there are only about 10,000 NATO troops on standby in the neighbouring Former Yugoslav
Republic of Macedonia, Western politicians continue to focus on their bombing campaign
rather than introducing ground troops, and Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic's own
forces have massed along the Macedonian border, wiring bridges and mountain tunnels with
explosives.
As they listen to radio reports in Pristina that Serbian forces are driving up to half a
million people from their homes elsewhere in Kosovo, ethnic Albanians ask: will we be
next?
NATO confirmed that Mr Agani was killed on Sunday, another victim of Pristina's death
squads, after leaving the funeral of Mr Bajram Kelmendi, Kosovo's leading human rights
lawyer, who was found murdered along with his two sons, aged 16 and 31, last Friday.
Serb civilians walk freely around Pristina, or race around in stolen cars, and police do
nothing to rein them in.
Members of Serbia's security forces have ordered some ethnic Albanians from their homes in
the capital's Dardania, Kolovica and Sunny Hill districts then moved in themselves, a
Pristina resident said. The biggest fear in ethnic Albanian neighbourhoods is that Serbs
will bring the full force of their campaign to the capital. An ethnic Albanian woman said:
"We don't have any arms, nothing, so everyone is afraid." - Los Angeles Times
Serbian criminal
bands, wherever they go, they only kill
Pejė, March 30th (Kosovapress) In the city of Peja,even those albanian people who were
still there, now they are leaving.Many outskirts of this city are completely burnt, by
serbian barbarism. These assassinator bands in Peja are leaded by a serbian police
officer, called Shanipuri police serb. This criminal together with his band, has executed
many albanians in the presence of their family. To one family with the surname Nikqi,this
terrorist band, after killing first the father and the son, they have asked from his
mother 10.000 DM, as compensation to save her 16th year daughter.
Citizens of Prishtina expelled by the
serbian criminals
Prishtina, March 30th (Kosovapress) The situation in some parts of Prishtina is very
grave. The invaders have expelled albanians citizens from their houses in all the
peripheries of Prishtina. In the quarter of Proleteri, the ēetnik criminal serbian gangs
are dividing the men expediting them to the city stadium. Thousands of albanian citizens
are gathered in the streets Jastrebci and Vardari, which are sieged by the serbian police.
They have been told to remain there until the buses come to expedite them to Albania.
The price of freedom
March (Kosovapress) The most recent ground news confirm a new phase of the serbian crimes
towards albanians. Tens of albanian intellectuals of different professional spectrum,
almost every day, wherever captured from the ēetnik gangs, are massacred and terrorized
and then killed. The names of prof. Latif Berisha, Fehmi Agani, Bajram Kėlmendi and tens
other intellectuals are already known to the opinion as victims of this massacre and
terror. There are doubts that the same fate has had Ibrahim Rugova (according to a
finlander news agency). Meanwhile, there are many speculations in the opinion about other
names as Academic Rexhep Qosja, Bajram Kosumi and some other intellectual or political
albanian distinguished personality.
Seen in principle, the prosecution and liquidation of the intellectuals as is already
happening to the albanian intellectuals of Kosovo, is a logical consequence of the actions
of all criminal and occupator serbian regimes, because their main purpose and target is to
cause fear, panic and confusion to the population in order to keep it subdued and to put
into reality his dream for continuing the domination. The massacres, killings and massive
moving of population is just another form of the crime in function of this purpose.
Nevertheless, this is also e sign of the rage, fear and loss of the control of the
occupator in front the change of reality before its eyes, in front of the slide of Kosovo
from the claws of this kind of monster; the bigger the slide is, the greater the rage of
the enemy is.
KLA, in cooperation with NATO and its western allies, NATO, USA, Germany, Great Britain,
France, etc, is determined to lead till the end the battle for freedom and independence,
naturally keeping in mind also the price we have to pay generally as population or
particularly as intellectuals. The freedom has an expensive price, but as often declared
by the high level representatives of KLA, there is no price that our people we won't pay
to get free once and for good from the claws of this beast.
Very grave situation in Drenica,
meanwhile KLA remains unbreakable
Drenica, March 30th (Kosovapress) Today, Gllogovc with its suburbs in general is in
flames, there is also a concentration of police serbian forces in the villages of
Gllanasellė, Polac, Tėrnavc of the commune of Skenderaj. A big mass of population
banished from the parts of Mitrovica can be seen, coming in the direction of Skenderaj and
the villages around, which have no shelters because everything is being burnt in this
zone. Yesterday, in the village of Tėrdevc, the veteran teacher Daut Halilaj (65) from
the village of Tėrdevc has been killed, defending the civil population. Both his two
sons, members of KLA have been killed the previous summer. We have information that
besides Daut Halili, there have been found dead: Xhevat Halili, member of KLA, Tahir
Vrellaku, (75) from Baica, Brahim Hoxha from Krejkova, Sadri Buzaku (60) from Krejkova,
Hamit Gashi (65) from Arllati, Hasan Ibrahim Krasniqi from Gllanasella massacred in Fusha
e Mollės between Qirez and Vėrboc, Rizah Tirku (65) from Tėrsteniku also massacred in
Tėrstenik, there are also three old men from Prekazi i Ulet, the quarters of Kodrat,
Avdullah Kodra, Jonuz Kodra and Zeqir Kodra.There are also tens of wounded. Therefore the
Commander of the Operative Zone of Drenica, is requesting from the relevant factors to
intervene urgently to avoid hunger, des eases and many other factors that put in danger
the population of this region. There is a very heavy situation in Drenica, knowing also
the danger of attacks from the ēetnik and terrorist gangs of Milosheviq to destroy KLA.
Attacks and combats in the commune of Deēan
Deēan, March 30th (Kosovapress) The situation in Deēan and environs as well as in all
Dukagjin and Kosovo is very dramatic. Even today, bombardments with heavy artillery in the
positions of KLA have taken place in this territory and fierce combats have taken place
between KLA units and serbian forces. According to in formations coming, the resistance is
very powerful, as concerning consequences and losses we have no information about.During
yesterday combats, Elez Ramė Geci, from Lluka e Poshtme and Magjum Berisha from
Prapaēani, have fallen heroically. Last night in Isniq, serbian terrorist groups have
executed the brothers Tahir and Hajdar Lokaj, Tahir and Shkurte Dervishaj. There are
doubts that Hajdin and Zekė Dervishaj have been killed too. In Prejlep, Qazim Osė Ulaj
has been killed from the serbian forces, but there are doubts for more other persons
killed. Nezir Vishaj is gravely wounded too. Today the serbian forces have set on fire
villages of Lluke e Epėrme and Beleg. In Isniq and in Strellc tė Poshtėm, there are
concentrated more than 20 thousand fled civilians, whose situation is very grave. |