Left menu bar

Archives

top.jpg (13217 bytes)

KCC Headlines, January 9, 1999

Kosova...

KIC

Kosova Press

The World about Kosova...

Serbian Military Pounds Half a Dozen Podujeva Villages with Artillery

Bradash, Peran, Obran^&, Llapashtic&, Katunisht& and Gllamnik villages under heavy Serb artillery fire today afternoon PRISHTINA, Jan 9 (KIC) - An LDK activist in Podujeva told the KIC at 13:40 hrs today (Saturday) heavy Serbian military and paramilitary police troops backed up by tanks and heavy guns have launched an artillery attack on half a dozen villages in the Podujeva area, some 30 km north of Prishtina. Shelling from army tanks is being heard in every couple of minutes, the activist said, adding that Serbs are pounding Peran, Bradash and parts of Obran^& and Katunisht& ('Velika Reka') villages from their position at Peran. From their position at 'Tabet e Llapashtic&s', near the town of Podujeva, Serbs are attacking parts of Obran^&, Llapashtic& and Gllamnik villages, west and south-west of Podujeva. Peran and Bradash are situated half a dozen km north of Podujeva. Columns of smoke billowing from the Llapashtic& villages can be seen in the town of Podujeva, where Serb forces have set up a heavy presence, too. Heavy Serbian military and police forces, backed up by scores of tanks and other artillery pieces, have been building up today in northern Kosova, along the Prishtina-Podujeva road, between the villages of Lluzhan and Llapashtic&, some 12 km long, and Podujeva- K&rpimeh, some 10 more km northwards, local sources said. Meanwhile, yesterday and today, heavy Serb military troops have been building up in the roads leading to Shal& e Bajgor&s - a region straddling Mitrovica, Vushtrri, and Podujeva - where U^K (Kosova Liberation Army) units yesterday took prisoner eight Serb (Yugoslav) soldiers, who had been shooting in the direction of the local Albanian population. More than 40 Albanians, most of them non-combatants, were killed in two Serb military offensives in the Podujeva area in September and December of 1998, respectively. Meanwhile, the Kosova capital, Prishtina, was under a heavy Serb military and police grip Friday night, with between 300 and 500 soldiers and policemen keeping Kodra e Diellit and a number of other neighborhoods under siege for several hours.

Kosovo monitors say Serbs are main mischief

05:26 p.m Jan 08, 1999 Eastern

WASHINGTON, Jan 8 (Reuters) - The U.S. head of the monitoring organisation in Kosovo on Friday blamed the Serb side for most of the violations of a ceasefire-and-withdrawal agreement negotiated by the United States in October.

William Walker, who leads the Kosovo mission for the Vienna-based Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), said the Serbs also regularly turned down his requests on the grounds that they went beyond the agreement.

The other side in the conflict is the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA), the ethnic Albanian force which took up arms last year for the independence of the troubled province. Ethnic Albanians outnumber Serbs 10 to one in Kosovo.

``In our view, the majority of the instances of non- compliance have emanated from the government side,'' Walker told a State Department briefing during a visit to Washington.

``We have been quite upset. Their words are very ample ...

but in terms of implementing those words, I think we would have to say we are less than satisfied,'' he added.

``There have been any number of areas in which we have made requests of the government and the answer has been: 'That is not in the agreement. It is not specifically spelled out in the agreement. Therefore you can't have it,'' he said.

Walker, whose verification group now stands at a strength of more than 600 members, said the Serbian government might give an especially bad impression because the Kosovo Verification Mission (KVM) tended to ask more of it.

``They are not cooperating in terms of landing rights for planes that might be bringing in supplies or quibbles at the border over customs. Those are things you ask for from a government. You don't ask that from the KLA,'' he said.

But he also gave anecdotal evidence favourable to the KLA.

When the KLA released two Serbian journalists and two local politicians, for example, the government did not reciprocate by releasing anyone sought by the KLA, he said.

Walker's assessment contradicted that of French Defence Minister Alain Richard, who last week blamed the KLA for recent fighting in the troubled province. Richard said: ``The main destabilising factor today is the KLA, not the Serbs.''

Asked to comment, Walker said: ``I find it hard to explain that comment. If it was purely a statement as portrayed that the KLA is essentially totally responsible for recent violence, I would disagree with it, quite emphatically.''

Walker implied that the Serbs had been the aggressors from the start of the conflict, through the way they treated the ethnic Albanian majority in Kosovo.

``This government, which has responsibility for treating the people of Kosovo equally and indiscriminately, does not perform those tasks very well. Much of the genesis of the violence derives from that lack of decent government,'' he said.

Walker showed no signs of dismay that the KVM falls so far short of its original target strength of 2,000. It is growing at between 100 and 150 members a week and will reach ``optimal level'' within some weeks, he said.

The monitors go about Kosovo unarmed, sometimes facing down heavily armed forces on both sides. Walker said that if he had his way, some members should be able to carry sidearms.

Serbs move to free hostages

The team of international monitors in Kosovo, the OSCE, says Serbian security forces have begun a military operation in the north of the province to free eight soldiers being held by ethnic Albanian rebels.

The BBC Correspondent in Belgrade, Jackie Rowland, says talks between international mediators and the rebels went on through the night and continued on Saturday to try to resolve the crisis peacefully. Observers fear the escalating violence might destroy the shaky cease-fire reached in October.

The Serb Media Center in Pristina, which is close to Serbian authorities, said the operation began around 1000 (0900 GMT) on Saturday.

Jurgen Grunnet of the OSCE confirmed that columns of Yugoslav army troops and police were moving from Pristina to Mitrovica, about 40 kilometres (25 miles) northwest of Pristina, where the soldiers are being held.

There were no immediate reports of fighting.

The eight were taken captive on Friday when rebels attacked a Yugoslav convoy carrying rations to troops stationed in the field.

According to the Serb Media Center, the soldiers were unharmed on Friday.

Policemen killed

Serb authorities reacted to the incident by deploying tanks throughout the provincial capital and threatening strong measures to combat ethnic Albanian "terrorism" in Kosovo.

The renewed shelling by the Serb forces has made many Kosovo Albanians flee their homes to seek safer surroundings in the hills. One group told the BBC: "They are bombing our houses. They are shelling. We are suffering."

Mr Grunnet of the OSCE added that the KLA had recently become more aggressive, but said he could not predict whether the increased tensions denoted an end to the cease-fire.

Serb Officials Warn of 'Energetic Actions' to Curb Rebel Attacks

AP 09-JAN-99

PRISTINA, Yugoslavia (AP) -- Serb authorities are threatening strong measures to combat ethnic Albanian "terrorism" in Kosovo after rebels killed three Serb policemen and seized eight Yugoslav soldiers in separate ambushes.

Veljko Odalovic, a top Serbian official in the province, told the government's Tanjug news agency that security forces will use "energetic and efficient action" to "normalize the situation" in Kosovo.

Teams from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe were trying to convince the rebels to release the soldiers, fearing the escalating violence will destroy the shaky cease-fire reached Oct. 12 to end seven months of fighting.

Two columns of Yugoslav army vehicles were seen leaving their Pristina garrison late Friday, headed north toward the area where the soldiers were being held. The army also deployed tanks throughout the provincial capital.

The Serb Media Center said the troops were deployed for security reasons, which is "normal" in such a situation.

The center also reported the eight soldiers were unharmed late Friday. They were taken captive Friday when guerrillas attacked a Yugoslav convoy carrying rations to troops stationed in the field near Kosovska Mitrovica, about 25 miles northwest of Pristina.

In a separate ambush, three policemen were killed when Kosovo Liberation Army rebels fired an anti-tank weapon at their armored vehicle near the village of Suva Reka, 30 miles south of the provincial capital Pristina, the Serb Media Center reported.

Four policemen and two civilians were seriously wounded in a fierce gunbattle that followed, the Serb center said. Rebels in the area told reporters they attacked in retaliation for government shelling of a nearby ethnic Albanian village.

It was the first time that guerrillas have been known to destroy an armored vehicle since fighting began in February. The attack confirmed reports that rebels have obtained better weapons.

The KLA is fighting for Kosovo's independence from Serbia, the main republic in Yugoslavia.

The continuing violence has increased fears that the three-month-old cease-fire deal between Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and U.S. envoy Richard Holbrooke is on the verge of falling apart.

The attacks have alarmed the province's minority Serb population. On Thursday, Serb crowds blocked all roads into Pristina, demanding that Milosevic or Serbian President Milan Milutinovic come to Kosovo to personally guarantee their safety.

On Friday, the Serbs dismantled the barricades on all but the main road linking Pristina with Prizren, the province's second largest city. Milosevic's Socialist Party urged civilians not to block the roads.

Under the October agreement, ethnic Albanians and Serbs were to have begun negotiations on the future of the province. But no face-to-face talks have been held, and both sides have rejected American proposals for expanded self-rule.

Ethnic Albanians make up about 90 percent of the 2 million people in Kosovo, and most want independence. The Americans and Europeans reject that, fearing it could lead to similar demands by ethnic Albanian communities elsewhere in the southern Balkans.

Serbs Launch Kosovo Operation to Free Captive Soldiers

AP 09-JAN-99

PRISTINA, Yugoslavia (AP) -- After threatening strong measures to combat ethnic Albanian "terrorism," Serb forces launched a military action today to try to free eight soldiers held captive by the guerrillas, Serb sources said.

The Serb Media Center, which is close to Serbian authorities, said the operation began this morning. It did not specify what the action consisted of, but a large army convoy was seen moving through the provincial capital of Pristina toward the northwestern town of Kosovska Mitrovica.

Teams from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe had been trying to persuade the rebels to release the soldiers, fearing the escalating violence will destroy the shaky cease-fire reached Oct. 12 to end seven months of fighting.

But an army source who declined to be identified told Belgrade's independent B-92 radio today that "all deadlines have expired."

The OSCE could not immediately confirm the report.

The action came soon after the Serb side promised to respond to the captures and the killing of three Serb policemen in a separate ambush.

The soldiers were taken captive near Kosovska Mitrovica, 25 miles northwest of Pristina, on Friday when guerrillas attacked a Yugoslav convoy carrying rations to troops in the field.

The rebel Kosovo Liberation Army said today it had surrounded a vehicle and forced the eight to surrender after it entered KLA-held territory and opened fire on ethnic Albanian civilians.

"The captured were handed over to judicial bodies and will be treated according to international conventions of war and prisoners of war," the rebels' regional command for northwestern Kosovo said in a statement distributed to ethnic Albanian media.

Serb authorities reacted to the incident by deploying tanks throughout Pristina late Friday.

The three policemen were killed Friday when Kosovo Liberation Army rebels fired an anti-tank weapon at their armored vehicle near the village of Suva Reka, 30 miles south of Pristina, the Serb Media Center reported.

Four policemen and two civilians were seriously wounded in a fierce gunbattle that followed, the Serb center said. Rebels in the area told reporters they attacked the police in retaliation for government shelling of a nearby ethnic Albanian village.

It was the first time that guerrillas have been known to destroy an armored vehicle since fighting began in February. The attack confirmed reports that they have obtained better weapons.

The KLA is fighting for independence from Serbia, the main republic in Yugoslavia.

The continuing violence has increased fears that the cease-fire deal between Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic and U.S. envoy Richard Holbrooke is on the verge of falling apart.

The OSCE observer mission in Kosovo condemned the attack on the police as an "unacceptable breach" of the cease-fire. In a statement, the mission said such "terrorist attacks" undermine efforts to reach a political solution to the conflict.

The attacks have alarmed the province's minority Serb population. On Thursday, Serb crowds blocked all roads into Pristina, demanding that Milosevic or Serbian President Milan Milutinovic come to Kosovo to personally guarantee their safety.

Under the October agreement, ethnic Albanians and Serbs were to have begun negotiations on the future of the province. But no face-to-face talks have been held, and both sides have rejected American proposals for expanded self-rule.

Ethnic Albanians make up about 90 percent of the 2 million people in Kosovo, and most want independence. The Americans and Europeans reject that, fearing it could lead to similar demands by ethnic Albanian communities elsewhere in the southern Balkans.

Copyright 1999 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Back to top

DAILY INFORMATION NR.1

According to our sources from the fields today at 5:00 AM eleven blinded vehicles went from Mitrovica to Stantėrg. Also according to our sources to from Podujeva, since 4:00 AM 33 serbian military tanks are moving from Besiana to location ''Tabet e Llapashticės''. Later we have been informed that Serbians special police units have been situated in Podujeva.

The Albanian satellite program informed that at about 10 20a military convoy from the military base in FERONIKEL of GLLOGOVC entered in LLAPUSHNIK than continued toward PEJA. This convoy was consisted of military trucks, blinded pitzgauers and other transport trucks.

Yesterday in the village STRELLC of DEĒAN was found dead BLERIM BALAJ (27), who was kidnapped on January 6 by unidentified persons. He was killed 1km far from his house, few meters near to the Serb police station.

According to Albanian sources, many Serb police check points have been resituated in the town GJAKOVA.

 

Information Service Prishtinė, 09.01.1999

Daily Information Nr.2

Latest information that we got from our sources are informing that conflict began in the villages Bradash and Dobratin in the municipality of Podujeva. Both these villages have been shelled and shot with heavy armament and artillery.

Also from our sources we found out that along the road from Podujeva to the village Kėrpimeh are situated tanks and other armed vehicles of Serbian forces. From the place "Tabet e Llapashticės", Serbian forces are shooting and shelling sporadically the village of Llapashtica.

Serbian forces are shelling from Podujeva also some villages of the municipality of Mitrovica.

Information Service Prishtinė, 09.01.1999