| KIC Serb Military Attacks Reka e Keqe Villages
Overnight, Local Sources Claim
PRISHTINA, Dec 12 (KIC) - On Friday night, there was Serb artillery
fire in the Reka e Keqe region, municipality of Gjakova, LDK sources said. The few
residents of the villages of Botushė and Molliq, who had returned to their homes, were
forced to flee again. The LDK chapter in Gjakova quoted eye-witnesses as saying Serb
military forces had assaulted a number of border villages, including Babaj i Bokės and
Duzhnje. There has been no immediate word on casualties. Heavy Serb military and
paramilitary forces arrived in the town of Gjakova in the past couple of days, the LDK
said. Three busloads of Serb soldiers and a number of armoured vehicles and APCs arrived
in the Gjakova barracks Friday afternoon, they added. Meanwhile, LDK sources in Prizren
reported a heavy Serb forces' presence in the Kosova-Serbia border area. Around midday
Friday, heavy police forces patrolled the Prizren- Gjakova roadway as well as the
communications with Rahovec. In the village of Piranė, near a local gas station, an
armoured vehicle and a "Praha' vehicle of the Serb army were stationed on Thursday.
The next day, the windows and doors of the gas station had been smashed.
Serbs Hold Local and International
Humanitarian Workers Hostage for Hours in Nerodime
PRISHTINA, Dec 12 (KIC) - On Friday, local Serbs in the village of
Nerodime, municipality of Ferizaj ('Urosevac'), held hostage for hours humanitarian
activists with the Kosovar-run Mother Teresa and the German Cap Anamur nongovernmental
organizations. Mr. Nedim Golesic, head of the Office of the Cap Anamur in Prishtina, told
the Deutsche Welle radio, he and Mother Teresa workers were heading for Jezerc village of
Ferizaj Friday with two lorries of aid, mostly food. The Serb police had stopped the
convoy first, not allowing them to proceed for Jezerc, citing security reasons. The convoy
made it to Jezerc eventually. On their way back, the humanitarian workers were stopped by
a group of Serb civilians, who threatened them and told they would have to return to
Jezerc to negotiate the release of two Serbs, who were allegedly held captive by the
Kosova Liberation Army (UēK). Mr. Golesic was told he would have to go to do the job,
whereas the others would be held as hostage till the Serbs had been released. It seems the
intervention of KDOM observers resulted in Serb police dispersing eventually the Serb
group and allowing for the humanitarian workers to get back.
Xhafer Qorri, Member of the Serbian Police,
Suspected Killed by Serb Forces, CDHRF Says
Two Elektroekonomia workers were killed, too, in the unsolved
incident Friday in Gllogovc PRISHTINA, Dec 12 (KIC) - The unsolved shooting incident that
occurred Friday afternoon, from 14:30 through 17:00, in the electric sub-station in
Gllogovc, resulted in a grave tragedy in which three ethnic Albanians were killed, the
Prishtina-based Council for the Defense of Human Rights and Freedoms (CDHRF) said in a
press release Saturday. One of the killed was Xhafer Qorri, a member of the Serbian
police, whereas two others, Ibrahim Isuf Musliu (1958) and Nazif Mulaj (1956), local
residents, employees of the Kosova Electric Power Industry (Elektroekonomia), were killed
in their work-place, the CDHRF said. The Serbian police sealed off the scene and took the
bodies of the victims to the Prishtina hospital morgue, the major Kosovar human rights
organization added. "It is suspected that Xhafer Qorri was killed by Serb forces
themselves, because he was a participant and eye-witness to the massacre of Serbian forces
when 22 members of the Albanian Deliu family were slain in Obri e Epėrme village" in
Gllogovc, the CDHRF said, referring to the massacre of 26 September.
ARTA - Koha Ditore
KOSOVA (tense situation Malishevė)
Movements of Serb forces aggravate the situation in
Malishevė
Malishevė, 12 December (ARTA) 1700CET --
Although the international observers and verifiers are managing to
keep the cease-fire between the sides in the conflict, the presence and the Serb force
movements themselves, are keeping the situation in this zone in great tension, the
"KD" corespondent informs.
No classes have started in the schools in Kijevė, Leēan, Bubavec,
Tėrpezė, and Malishevė, because of the presence of 7 Serb police\military checkpoints
in the territory of this municipality.
The "KD" corespondent informs about frequent Serb
police\military vehicle movements on the Kijevė-Balincė line.
On the other hand, according to CHO "Mother Theresa"
chairperson in Malishevė, Bahti Thaqi, 90 tons of humanitarian assistance arrived for the
endangered residents of this municipality.
This assistance was dedicated to 20 villages of the municipality and
was first distributed in Lladroc, Gurbardh, and Pagarushė.
KOSOVA (situation deteriorated Mitrovicė)
Arresting in town - Serb police movements in the
direction of Skėnderaj
Skėnderaj, 12 December (ARTA) 1600CET --
Three Serb policemen arrested Musli Fazliu, from the village of
Vidishiq, municipality of Mitrovicė, temporarily sheltered in Tuneli i Parė, in the open
market in Mitrovicė, on Saturday morning, CDHRF, and "KD" sources from
Mitrovicė, notify. There are reports that Musli Fazliu is still being held at the police
station in Mitrovicė. The reason of his arrest remains unknown.
On the other hand, Albanian sources claim that on Saturday, at
around 0900CET, two Serb police officers and one civilian, posted near the "DES"
enterprise in Mitrovicė, stopped many passers by, and raided their vehicles. Whereas, at
around 1000CET, four vans with Belgrade registration plates, loaded with civilians headed
in the direction of Skėnderaj. In the meantime, seven terrain vehicles filled with Serb
policemen, departed from Mitrovicė, and headed in the direction of Skėnderaj.
KOSOVA (IDP issues Gjilan)
"I came to seek help, flour..."
Gjilan, 12 December (ARTA) 1800CET --
The winter has additionally increased the uneasiness of the
dislocated and poverty-stricken Albanians families. The snow, which is constantly falling,
and the low temperatures forced the needy to rush, and secure, the elementary items for
living and facing the bad weather.
In Gjilan, the CHO "Mother Theresa", states that 238
dislocated families are currently sheltered in the houses of Albanian families in Gjilan
and the surrounding villages. A day before, word had spread in town that there is no more
room for sheltering the dislocated, and that the local LDK branch had estimated so.
However, at the LDK branch Solidarity Commission and at the commission for sheltering and
taking care for the dislocated families, it was said that all the dislocated that arrive
in this town will be accepted and systemized.
"We have sheltered 4 families on Thursday alone, and we will
find room for all of those who have had the courage to come to our town", said Ismail
Kurteshi, chair of the Municipal Council for Emergency Aid.
On the other hand, the CHO "Mother Theresa" chairman,
Ruzhdi Rashiti, said that this association has registered "233 dislocated families,
which they provide with the items necessary for existence".
"So far we have distributed flour, kitchen oil, hygienic items,
stoves, wood for heating, as well as clothing, to these families", explains Rashiti.
According to its chairman, besides the 233 dislocated families, the
CHO "Mother Theresa" has also registered 673 families in Gjilan, who live on the
aid they receive from this association. The needy were moving in and out of the
"Mother Theresa" premises, picking up different items, but what they usually
needed the most, was food.
"All we need is food items, oil, sugar... we don't need other
things as much", said a 38 years old woman, holding a girl by her hand. Other poor
people were also approaching for the same reasons. "I came do seek help,
flour...", said a former guardian at the district prison.
Associated Press
Kosovo Grave Exhuming in Question
By DAVE CARPENTER Associated Press Writer
PRISTINA, Yugoslavia (AP) - Plans to exhume massacre victims from a grave in a
rebel-held part of Kosovo province may be dropped because of Serbian police resistance, a
forensics team member said Saturday.
A Finnish team was blocked Thursday from starting work at a hill near Gornje Obrinje
that is believed to contain the bodies of 22 ethnic Albanians massacred by Serb troops in
September. Serb police in armored vehicles said digging couldn't be carried out without
their presence.
Talks between the experts and government authorities have yet to resolve the dispute,
team member Tino Lahelma said. ``Anything can happen, but I do think we have an impasse
with Gornje Obrinje,'' Lahelma said.
If the situation persists, he said work at the site will not be possible. However,
exhumation efforts would continue at five other sites where authorities also gave the team
permission to dig. ``We don't want to give up,'' Lahelma said.
The top government official for Kosovo, Zoran Andjelkovic, insists the Finns are not
being prevented from doing their work. But Lahelma said it's unrealistic for police to
insist on escorting the Finns and the Serbian legal team accompanying them to the site in
rebel-controlled territory.
Tension remains high despite a 2-month-old truce, and the Kosovo Liberation Army of
ethnic Albanian separatists has said police are not welcome in the central Drenica region,
heartland of the guerrilla movement.
``We don't want to risk our lives'' by bringing police into a KLA-controlled area,
Lahelma said.
Gornje Obrinje, 25 miles west of Pristina, is where some of the most gruesome killings
took place during fighting between Serb forces and ethnic Albanian separatist rebels. The
grave the Finns were to investigate there was believed to contain the bodies of 22 ethnic
Albanians from a single family clan, including children. The mutilated bodies were seen by
diplomats and journalists shortly after the slayings in September.
THE TIMES
Nato warns Serbs of military action
BY MICHAEL EVANS, DEFENCE EDITOR
NATO intensified the pressure on Belgrade yesterday with a warning from a French
commander that immediate military action will be taken if Serb troops put the lives of
international monitors in Kosovo at risk.
French troops are in the process of being deployed to the Former Yugoslav Republic of
Macedonia to set up Nato's 1,800-strong "extraction force" which will be ready
to rescue the 2,000 "verifiers" from the Organisation for Security and
Co-operation in Europe (OSCE).
Operation Joint Guarantor, codename for the French-led multinational force, began
functioning yesterday.
Lieutenant-General Emile Sabathe, Armed Forces deputy operations chief, said the force
would sweep into Kosovo in helicopters and armoured vehicles in an emergency without
needing the approval of Belgrade.
He said there was no agreement with Belgrade over the deployment of Nato troops on the
border with Kosovo. "But United Nations resolution 1203 says we can use any means to
ensure the security of peace verifiers in Kosovo, and that is what we will do."
He added: "If they want to send planes to try to prevent helicopter or other
operations, we will react."
Britain is sending about 600 troops to Macedonia along with 14 Warrior armoured combat
vehicles. The British contribution consists of a company group of just under 400 soldiers
from the 1st Battalion King's Own Border Regiment, 1st Battalion The Highlanders and 1st
Battalion Royal Irish Regiment. They will be supported by about 250 engineers, signals
specialists and members of the Royal Logistic Corps.
General Sabathe said there would be no complicated rules of engagement. "If our
people are shot at, they shoot back. It's self-defence and that's it," he said.
British observers avert Kosovo clash
TOM WALKER
The mettle of British ceasefire monitors in Kosovo was tested yesterday as, armed with
nothing but their wits and bright orange Land Rovers, they cajoled a crowd of 1,000 Serbs
into abandoning a plan to march into the Kosovo Liberation Army's central headquarters.
The Serbs, mostly civilians but with a menacing and heavily armed police escort, had
set off from the town of Orahovac in mid-morning, to walk eight miles over a mountain pass
to the KLA stronghold of Dragobilje. Carrying placards with messages such as "Free
our people" and "Stop terrorism", the protesters said they wanted news of
the dozens of Orahovac Serbs taken hostage by the KLA in the summer.
After a feeble attempt by the police to stop the march as it crossed the pass and began
the descent towards Dragobilje, the local British contingent of monitors with the
Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) effectively took charge.
"The situation was changing by the minute and we had to keep one step ahead,"
said Ian Mcleod, a retired brigadier with the parachute regiment who is now the
"director of co-ordination" for the OSCE's Kosovo Verification Mission in
Orahovac.
His contingent of 16 British monitors was bolstered by some colleagues from the
European Union and American Contact Group missions in Kosovo, and the teams fanned out in
the Land Rovers - affectionately known as "pumpkins" by their drivers - around
the column of Serbs, which was headed by local politicians and an Orthodox clergyman, and
flanked by a provocative Serb police presence.
Within about one mile of Dragobilje, the chances of a peaceful resolution to the
afternoon looked bleak, as a hardcore of 150 Serbs seemed bent on reaching the village
centre. Brigadier Mcleod, aided by his colleague Tony Hunter-Choat, a former brigadier in
the Royal Gunners, found themselves acting as the thin orange line.
In Dragobilje itself, a special KLA unit ran up the track linking the village with the
main road, and crouched in position behind a stone wall, ready for the Serbs. Brigadier
Hunter-Choat dashed to the centre of Dragobilje in his Land Rover, and persuaded the KLA
that they should send a negotiator, whom he drove back up the track to a wrecked petrol
station to which Brigadier McLeod brought the Serb Mayor of Orahovac.
"We've got two leaders to talk about their missing as a humanitarian, rather than
a political, issue, and it's a big step for them," said Brigadier Mcleod.
Little progress was actually made in the petrol station talks, where the Albanian
negotiator, Luli Pacarizi, simply told the Serb mayor, Andelko Kolasinac, that his missing
people were not in Dragobilje. "You've come to the wrong place," he said.
"We are seeking the truth and we come as citizens," said Mr Kolasinac, who
after shaking hands with Mr Pacarizi was harangued by fellow Serbs, who accused him of
being too soft on the Albanians.
"I'd have said this morning that we were about 40 per cent sure this could go off
peacefully," said Brigadier Hunter-Choat. "I think we underestimated the layer
of common sense that exists at the top of both communities, and we can only hope that it
filters down." |