Kosova Crisis Center

KCC NEWS
FREE KOSOVA
Regions
culture
NGO's
links's
about alb-net.com
mailing lists
alb-net.com bookstore
KCC archives
home

link to alb-net

E-MAIL US

LETTERS OF SUPPORT

SERBIAN MASSACRES

Updated at 11:28 PM on May 15, 1999

Two Serb mayors urge Belgrade to end Kosovo crisis

BELGRADE, May 14 (AFP) - Two Serbian town mayors, members of the opposition, urged Belgrade authorities Friday to do everything possible to halt the punishing NATO bombing of Yugoslavia. Zoran Zivkovic, mayor of the southern town of Nis, heavily hit by the NATO raids, urged Belgrade to support the G8 nations' plan for Kosovo, as a "basis for political solution" for the conflict.

"No idea is worth the eath of whole population. Patriotism is not to push the whole nation towards death, but to ensure the future for them," Zivkovic, a top official in the Democratic party (DS) of Zoran Djindjic, told reporters here.

Velimir Ilic, mayor of Cacak, 160 kilometres (100 miles) south of Belgrade, where four people were killed and 13 injured in NATO air raids Monday, called on the authorities to do "everything to stop the bombing."

"Destruction in the country is great, and there are more and more dead every day," Ilic, leader of the opposition Serbia-Together party, told the independent Beta news agency, calling on the Serbian and Yugoslav parliaments to hold daily sessions.

"We want to hear our deputies, they should take responsibility, because they have been elected by the people," Ilic told Beta.

He added that more than 40,000 workers in Cacak had lost their jobs since five major factories were destroyed in the bombing.

Zivkovic said Belgrade authorities should "back the G8 plan," which calls for the return to Ksovo of hundreds of thousands of ethnic Albanian refugees under international protection, or "to offer their own proposal."

"Now we have only rethoric, but nothing concrete. We are not informed about what the Serbian authorities are doing to turn back the situation to the political track," Zivkovic said.

He called on the authorites to "announce their programme for the future as soon as possible, to tell us what is going to happen in the next five or 50 days."

Urging an end to the 52-day long NATO bombing campaign, Zivkovic said that "after the war and everything we have suffered," elections on "all levels" should be held.

He rejected accusations by Serbian state media that party leader Djindjic, former Belgrade mayor, was "collaborating with the aggressor."

Serbian official television RTS on Thursday accused the reformist Montenegro president Milo Djukanovic and Djindjic of "treason".

Zivkovic said that Djindjic had "contacts with domestic and foreign politicians to push for the end of bombing and ensure aid for reconstruction of the country."

KLA urges NATO to provide it with weapons

TIRANA, - The seperatist Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) on Friday urged NATO and western governments to provide it with weapons and organise air drops of food and medicine inside the embattled province. "I call on NATO and the west to support the KLA politically, morally and militarily," said Jakup Krasniqi, a spokesman for the Interim Government of Kosovo (IGK), the KLA's political wing.

The international community must "lift the arms embargo on the KLA" and provide it "with sophisticated equipment with the aim of stopping (Yugoslav President Slobodan) Milosevic's barbarism," Krasniqi added.

Meeting in Bonn earlier this month, Russia, the United States and their Group of Eight partners agreed on a set of principles to resolve the Kosovo crisis. One of the principles was that the KLA would have to be disarmed.

On the humanitarian front, the IGK spokesman said "urgent" action was needed inside Kosovo, where the remaining population is "threatened by starvation and lack of medical supplies."

He called for "humanitarian airdrops of food and medicine," inside Kosovo, in the zones controlled by the KLA.

He named four areas where the seperatist group had retained control -- Llape, Drenica, Dukajgen and Pashtrik, all in southern Kosovo.

Krasniqi said the KLA were mainly fighting defensive positions, but had managed to "inflict serious casualties on men and hardware of the enemy force."

British journal Jane's Defence Weekly this week said the KLA has been reduced to 4,000 men in Kosovo, sheltering in three isolated hilltop enclaves.

The majority of troops in the KLA, which claimed to have 24,000 men under arms, have retreated into Albania or have dropped their arms and mixed with the refugees, the journal said.

Krasniqi also "demanded" that the international community recognise "the independence of Kosovo and its government," and called on moderate Kosovo leader Ibrahim Rugova to join the IGK.

Rugova has never formally recognised the IGK, which is run by KLA leader Hashim Thaci.

Meanwhile, another KLA spokesman on Friday confirmed to AFP that former Croatian Brigadier-General Agim Ceku had been appointed as the new chief of staff of the KLA from the start of May.

In his new post, Ceku is expected to change the organisation of the KLA, now divided into seven "operational zones" and 17 "brigades", as well as improve discipline and training, Jane's said.

Hillary Clinton likens Kosovars' plight to Holocaust

SKOPJE, - US First Lady Hillary Clinton toured a refugee camp here Friday, where she likened the plight of Kosovo's ethnic Albanians to the agony of the Jews under the Third Reich. Clinton said the suffering of the Kosovars reminded her of "Schindler's List" and "Sophie's Choice" -- movies portraying the fate of Jews systematically murdered or persecuted by the Nazis.

"I keep putting myself in their faces and stories. I hope all of us do... I'm hoping that we will never forget," she said.

The wife of US President Bill Clinton spent an hour walking under a hot sun amid the dusty green tents and talking with some of the camp's 18,000 inhabitants.

"These people all want to go home, to their own homes and their land, in peace and security," Clinton told reporters, her arms wrapped around the shoulders of bashful Kosovar children.

Clinton took a tougher line in a meeting with representatives of the alphabet soup of humanitarian organizations that have set up shop at Brazda and eight other refugee camps in Macedonia.

"I want to send a message to the refugees that we do not intend to allow the evil that Milosevic has perpetrated against these people," she said.

"That is a very fundamental committment that is shared not only by those in the United States, but by our allies as well."

Clinton, who was earlier this week in Ireland and Britain, was the latest in a steady stream of VIPs to make high-profile visits to Macedonia, where camps are more easily reached than those in Albania.

Others this week included Vanessa Redgrave, Bianca Jagger and Roger Moore, the latter not as James Bond but as a UNICEF goodwill ambassador.

But Clinton's day-long visit was politically more significant, given the United States' driving role in the NATO air strikes against the regime of Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic that began 52 days ago.

Before her arrival, reporters heard three distinct explosions coming from the direction of Kosovo, the border of which is only 10 kilometers (six miles) away.

Clinton's visit was limited to the northwest corner of Brazda, where an Israeli-run day care center ensured that plenty of children were around for the television cameras.

But despite yellow cordon tape and pushy Kosovar volunteer security guards, about 500 refugees were able to watch her pass by, greeting her with rounds of "Clinton, Clinton" and "USA, USA."

Adelina Mejzinolli, 16, from the Drenica region, was the boldest among them: she held up a framed picture of Hamza and Adem Jashari, bearded martyrs of the Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) who died in a firefight with Serbian police in February last year.

"Our people love these guys," said Mejzinolli, a student who has no news about two brothers and one sister who are KLA guerrillas. "We want this picture to be seen."

In a salute to Macedonia's ethnic diversity, Clinton went on to visit an Orthodox church in Skopje before meeting President Kiro Gligorov and Prime Minister Ljubco Georgievski.

"We used this opportunity to inform Mrs. Clinton directly about the situation in our country, our problems especially with the refugee crisis, and the financial support which we need," said Georgievski afterwards.

He said his meeting with Clinton, at the residence of US ambassador Christopher Hill, an architect of the Rambouillet peace accord for Kosovo, left him feeling "reassured" about US pledges of support.

Macedonia's economy, which depends heavily on trade with Yugoslavia, has been devestated by the Kosovo conflict, and many fear that the country's delicate ethnic balance is also endangered.

Gligorov and others in the government have repeatedly faulted NATO and EU members of not doing more to help Macedonia deal with its burden of more than 200,000 refugees.

US officials said Clinton told her hosts that Washington was planning to redirect 21 million dollars to Macedonia this year, with two million dollars already at Hill's disposition for "civil society and micro-economic assistance."

Refugees see fresh NATO bombing in southern Kosovo

MORINA, Albania, - NATO planes bombed Serb forces in southern Kosovo on Friday, refugees arriving at this Albanian border post said. They said they had seen NATO planes bombing around the towns of Zur, six kilometres (four miles) from the border, and Prizren, but military activity seemed to have slowed later Friday when the sky was cloudy.

>From the border, trails of smoke could be seen rising above the hills.

The stream of refugees from Kosovo stopped around midday, and by 4:30 p.m. (1430 GMT) not a single additional refugee had arrived at the border.

On Thursday only one Kosovar, from Prizren, arrived at the Morina border post.

The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said the man had seen a group of about 15 refugees who had been ordered to return to Zur by Serb forces.

The border region remains volatile. NATO has in recent days bombed positions in southern Kosovo near Prizren and around the border post of Morina around which the separatist Kosovo Liberation Army (KLA) is operating.

Earlier Friday, international monitors said a fourth civilian had been found dead following a Serb military incursion into Albanian territory earlier in the week.

"They have found a fourth elderly man dead near the village of Perroi I Thanes," Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) spokesman, Andrea Angeli, told AFP.

A woman in her 70s, a 65-year-old man and a 75-year-old woman were found dead after Tuesday's 12-hour gunbattle around Perroi I Thanes, some 700 metres (yards) inside Albanian territory.

The village was occupied Tuesday by at least 50 Serb soldiers, although they withdrew back into Kosovo later that night.

White House Won't Impede Yugoslavia's Net Access

Even though it was used and abused by Serbian "hackers", the United States will allow the Serbs to challenge the misinformation they are receiving from the Milosevic press within the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.

14 May 1999, 4:24 PM CST By Bob Woods, Newsbytes. WASHINGTON, DC, U.S.A.,

After several days of worry, Yugoslavian Internet service providers can breathe easily. Their satellite-delivered Internet service from a US-based company won't be cut, despite a US embargo of their war-torn country, a State Department spokesperson said.

During a news briefing this afternoon, State Department spokesperson James P. Rubin said full and open Internet access "can only help the Serbian people know the ugly truth about the atrocities and crimes against humanity being perpetrated in Kosovo by the Milosevic regime."

Loral Space & Communications Inc.'s [NYSE:LOR] Loral Orion subsidiary acknowledged late Thursday it had been discussing with the US Treasury Department the possibility that it could be prevented from beaming Internet access via satellite into Yugoslavia. President Clinton two weeks ago signed an embargo that forbids US exports of oil and other items - even software - as a result of ongoing aggression against ethnic Albanians in Kosovo.

But Rubin today said the Clinton administration would not cut off the flow of information to Yugoslavia. "The Serbian people deserve to access independent and objective information, whether by the Internet or other media," Rubin said.

The US is also encouraging Serbians to use the Net and other media sources to "challenge the misinformation they are receiving from the Milosevic press within the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia," Rubin said.

Earlier today, the Center for Democracy and Technology had urged the White House not to cut Loral Orion's service to Yugoslav ISPs, saying the impeding of Internet access to Yugoslavia would have "(harmed) the goal of promoting democracy and ethnic tolerance in Serbia."

CDT Policy Analyst Ari Schwartz said, "The Internet remains one of the major sources of independent news reporting and information in Serbia, and is one of the main means for democratic opponents of Milosevic to communicate with the outside world."

A news release from BeoNET earlier this week claimed, "We have reliable information that the US Government ordered Loral Orion company to shut down its satellite feeds for Internet customers in Yugoslavia... This action might be taken as soon as later tonight or tomorrow (May 12 or 13, 1999)... This is a flagrant violation of commercial contracts with Yugoslav ISPs, as well as an attack on freedom of the Internet."

Most ISPs in Yugoslavia do not have their own satellite links, the AFX news service reported Thursday. Instead, Yugoslav ISPs rent satellite access from foreign companies. A European company also provides satellite service to Yugoslavia, and Internet access can also be obtained through landline connections. But a US government-forced interruption by Loral Orion could have greatly impeded Yugoslavians' access to the Internet.

One serb officer killed and another one injured

Gjakovë, May 15th (Kosovapress)
Last night,about 19.30,in the village of Madame, a KLA unit attacked a serb military convoy. A Serb officer has been killed and one wounded. The KLA forces suffered no losses.

62 Albanian civillians rescued by KLA forces in Llapi Operating Zone

Keqekollë, May 15th (Kosovapress)
Last night in Keqekollë, in ward Kurtaj, the KLA units undertook one succesful action against serb forces who have been positioned in the mosque
of the village. During this action, 10 serb militiamen were killed.

Another succesful attack has been organised against some serb forces in Ballaban by a unit of OZ of Llapi. 62 albanian civillians who have been retaining and maltreted by those serb forces have been rescued. In the zone which is under the control of 153 brigade in the region of Gallapi, many actions have been undertaken, and the KLA has not suffered a single casualty so far.